“I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” Psalm 139:14
I have found that one of the most frequent reminders to praise God for being fearfully and wonderfully made, is the fingernail. Albeit it is small and definitely not as important as other features and functions of the human body, it is nonetheless an amazing aspect of God’s creation.
This truth has been hammered (Ouch!) home to me this summer as I have been fumbling my way through adding a stairway and new rails to my second floor deck. A well equipped tool belt does not a carpenter make. And having already suffered too many bruises and slivers to enumerate I can readily acknowledge this is not my calling. But in spite of all that, I have repeatedly been praising God for one of the most versatile tools ever created; and it is not found in any tool belt. It is literally at the tip of everyone’s fingers. It is the fingernail.
It has caused me on more than one occasion to pause and think about the wonder of God’s creation. If as the Bible says “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork” then fingernails must declare His loving attention to detail. (Psalm 19:1)
Here are six reasons why fingernails reinforce my belief in a Creator God.
- Fingernails provide protection – especially from misguided hammers. They protect the soft tissue of the fingertip from injury. Nails are made of tough protein called keratin. They have no nerve endings and are impervious to sharp or injurious objects. Functioning like a shield they protect the most exposed and vulnerable part of the finger, the top of its tip. Many accidents are thwarted or could have been much worse if it were not for fingernails. Praise God for that!
- Fingernails function as a precision tool. They extend the finger’s pressure grip with a precision, enabling you to pick up the tiniest of objects. The ability to extract a sliver from your finger can then become cause for praising God.
- Fingernails enhance the sensitivity of the fingertip. Although nails have no nerve endings they provide a counter pressure on the tip of the finger that increases its sensitivity to touch. They also enable the finger to function with greater sensitivity when delicate tasks and movement are required like holding nails and screws.
- Fingernails function as an abrasion tool. They enable us to scrape and clean when just the right product or tool is not readily available. You can praise God then for a solution when you spill ketchup on your shirt at the church picnic.
- Fingernails also enhance the aesthetics of the fingers and hand. When healthy nails are groomed and for women when painted, they add grace and beauty to the hand. Thank God for the fingernail inspection when you want to know if your child has washed his hands before dinner.
- Fingernails are percussion instruments. They can be used to provide musical entertainment. They enable the fingertips in drum rhythmically to a familiar tune or nervously tap out a solo to pass the time. With fingernails, you never have a legitimate reason to complain about being bored. You can praise God in all circumstances! (1Thesasalonians 5:18)
I welcome your observations, comments and additions to this conversation.
Click Here for an Email Subscription to this Blog.